The program: The master offers an interdisciplinary and in-depth study of social protection systems that enables successful candidates to enter positions in international organizations, government administration, welfare associations or civil society organisations. The program targets students who want a career in social policy analysis, advocacy or research. Over the course of 4 semesters students learn to analyse, optimize and, if necessary, reorganize existing social protection systems, adapting them to future demographic, economic and social challenges.
Practical experience: An internship is an integral part of the study program. Students, who have more than 8 months of experience can finish earlier.
Specializations: In the second semester students may choose of the following specializations.
- Climate Change
- Implementation of Cash Transfer Programmes
- Old Age
- Return to Work
Degree: Master of Arts (M.A.)
Format / credit points: Full-time; 1st Semester on-campus and the 2nd Semester classes are held online; 120 ECTS
Duration: 4 Semesters (including internship)
Programme start: Winter Semester (September 1st)
- Previous studies: A bachelor’s degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the program such as business administration/economics, politics, law, administration, health, education, social science, psychology and international relations/development insofar as the contents relating to the subject area of social protection encompass a minimum of 15 credits in accordance with the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS).
- Relevant work experience: Proof of at least 5 months’ work experience (incl. unpaid internships and/or voluntary work) in a field related to social protection.
- English proficiency: If the applicant is neither a native speaker nor has completed a previous degree programme in English, they need to provide proof of English proficiency, with a minimum level of C1 according to the common European framework of reference for languages, certified by one of the following tests indicated in the link: https://www.h-brs.de/files/english_test_equivalents_fb06.pdf
- Entry examination: Successful passing of a two-hour online entry examination testing applicants’ competencies in the area of social policy.
Language of instruction: English (German Courses are available for interested students)
Tuition fees: none (Students are required to only pay the semester contribution of about 280,00 EUR per semester)
Location: Sankt Augustin, which is about 10km away from Bonn and about 30 km away from Cologne.
Application: Online, by March 31st
For more details, please contact Ms. Kerstin Schickendanz:
or visit our website https://www.h-brs.de/en/sv/study/master/analysis-and-design-social-protection-systems